It’s true – raw almonds are a healthy and nutritious snack – but if you’re ready to take them to the next level, try my Lentil & Almond Burgers. A one ounce serving of almonds has 6 grams of protein and 3.5 grams of fiber. Almonds are calorically dense (161 calories per ounce) but the good news is 10-15% of the calories are not absorbed by the body. Other benefits include:
- High in Vitamin E (protects cells from damage)
- High in magnesium (promotes heart health and keeps blood pressure normal)
- A good source of manganese (aids in processing cholesterol, carbohydrates and protein)
Note: This recipe is not meant to replicate the taste of a classic hamburger – the flavor is different but satisfying just the same!
Lentil & Almond Burgers
Makes 6 Patties
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup finely chopped carrot
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- ⅓ cup finely chopped celery (about 1 stalk)
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan. Stir in lentils, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until very tender and beginning to break down, about 15-20 minutes.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add carrot, onion and celery and cook, stirring, until softened. Add almonds through pepper; continue cooking until the almonds are lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a food processor; add 1 ½ cups of the cooked lentils. Pulse several times, scraping down the sides until the mixture is coarsely ground. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the remaining lentils. Let cool for 10 minutes. Mix in egg and lemon juice. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Form the lentil mixture into 6 patties. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the patties and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Turn gently and continue to cook until lightly browned and heated through, 3 to 4 minutes more. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 197 calories; 7.5 g fat; 8 g fiber; 23 g carbohydrates; 10 g protein