Warm up all winter with this protein-packed, easy crock-pot chili from Kaitlin at The White Fig! This dish is easily made vegetarian by replacing chicken with lentils and is naturally gluten-free and dairy free (unless of course, you top it with cheese, sour cream or yogurt!).
- 12 oz can whole tomatoes (do not drain)
- 12 oz can crushed tomatoes (do not drain)
- 8 oz can low-sodium pinto beans (drain and rinse)
- 8 oz can low-sodium kidney beans (drain and rinse)
- 8 oz can low-sodium black beans (drain and rinse)
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup quinoa (rinsed, uncooked)
- 2 whole chicken breasts OR 1 cup pre-soaked lentils for vegetarian
- 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tbsp tumeric
- 1/2 tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder or paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
Rinse and drain beans. Pre-soak 1 cup of dry lentils with 1/2 tsp salt at least 1 hour prior to adding to crock-pot if using in place of chicken. Dice yellow onion and bell pepper. Mince garlic. Add all ingredients to the crock-pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours. Shred chicken prior to serving.
Optional toppings: Plain Greek yogurt or low fat sour cream, cilantro, shredded cheese and avocado.
Recipe created by Kaitlin Hornbostel of The White Fig ~ nutrition and nest. Follow The White Fig on Instagram @thewhitefig